Thursday 12 February 2015

FALLING TONE AND RAISING TONES IN PRONUNCIATION

FALLING TONE AND RAISING TONES IN PRONUNCIATION

 words that are important for meaning are generally
stressed in a sentence and those that are not important for meaning are
weakened and said quickly. Of the words that are stressed or said with extra
breath force one word stands out as more prominent than the others because
the pitch of the voice either moves from high to low or low to high on that
word. The movement of the pitch of the voice from high to low is called the
falling tone. A movement of the pitch of the voice from low to high is called
the rising tone.

The Falling Tone

We use the falling tone in:
i statements
ii wh-questions
iii exclamatory sentences
iv commands
v tag questions

Listen to the following sentences with the falling tone

1 They’re ar'riving this `evening.
2 What a 'beautiful `dress!
3 'Where have all the 'pencils `gone?
4 It’s 'rather 'hot in `May, `isn’t it?
5 'Draw the `curtains.
6 How ex`traordinary!
7 'Come and 'see me to`morrow.

The Rising Tone
When we use a rising tone, our pitch starts at a lower level and then goes up
to a higher level.
a Yes/No questions
b Wh- questions asked warmly
c incomplete utterances
d polite requests
Take care to use the rising
tone in each case.

a Yes/No Questions
A Yes/No question is one which can be answered in ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

1 Is 'father at home?
2 Can I 'see the Dean for a minute?
3 Can you 'buy me an ice-cream, mummy?
4 Will you 'show me your 'new atlas?
5 Can I 'borrow your record player?
6 Can you drive?
7 Can you cook?
8 Would it be 'possible to 'spend the night here?
9 Is the 'Ahmedabad Ex'press ar'riving on time?
10 'Is there any re cording to day?

b Wh-questions asked warmly


1 'What is your father?
2 'Where do you live?
3 'How is mother?
4 'Where did you 'leave your book?
5 'How old are you?
6 'Which is yours?
7 'When did you come?
8 'Where are you going?
9 'Who did you talk to?

c Incomplete Utterances

All the examples cited below have two tone-groups each. The end of the
first tone-group is marked /. See how the first of the two tone-groups in
each sentence is said with a rising tone.

1 If you 'go to Delhi/ 'please 'meet my `aunt.
2 I 'went to the 'market this morning / and 'bought a 'lot of
`vegetables.
3 As 'soon as you 'reach London/ 'give this 'letter to the 'High
Co'mmissioner.
4 When my 'father died, / I was 'only 'five years `old.
5 'If I see him/ I shall 'give him a 'piece of my `mind.
6 The 'moment you are ready,/ 'please `phone `me.
7 I 'don’t mind 'eating anywhere,/ pro'vided the 'place is `clean.
8 If you get 'drenched in the rain, / you’re 'likely to 'fall `ill.
9 I was 'terribly hurt/ when my 'father 'called me a `fool.
10 If at 'all it’s possible, / I shall 'meet you at the `station.

d Polite Requests

1 'Pass the salt.
2 'Close that window.
3 'Lend me a ru pee.
4 'Shut the door.
5 'Please 'carry my bag.
6 'Buy me some flowers.
7 'Bring some lunch for me.
8 'Give me some water.
9 'Fetch me an um brella.
10 'Buy me a 'new pen, daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment