Tuesday 3 April 2018

Dr. Mackenzie’s Four Steps to Saying “No.”

Dr. Mackenzie’s Four Steps to Saying “No.”


1. Listen
This lets the requesting person know you’re giving full attention to the request and lets
you fully understand what is being asked.

2. Say “No” politely but firmly right away
Don’t build false hopes with wishy-washy answers.

3. Give your reasons, if appropriate
Your reasons may include your priorities, your schedule, etc. This reinforces your
credibility.

4. Offer alternatives, if possible
Demonstrate your good faith by suggesting other ways to meet the person’s need.
There are many ways to say “No” after listening to a request that you simply
cannot handle.

Dr. Mackenzie offers a few:

• “I’m sorry, my other commitments just won’t permit me to take on another project right
now.”

• “You know, on New Year’s Day I promised my family I wouldn’t take on anything else
this year. I’ve been neglecting them too much.”

• “Thanks for the compliment, but I’m afraid I’ll have to decline. maybe next year.”
• If a request catches you off-guard, don’t say anything until you count to ten first.

a. Leaving tasks unfinished: Managers must take time log and assess the impact
of leaving tasks unfinished. They should set deadlines on all important tasks to
provide incentive to complete them. They should get organized to permit effective
control of tasks. They should recognize that sound organization saves time in
retrieving information, processing decisions, and maintaining control over projects.

b. Lack of Self-Discipline: When a manager switches priorities of his team, he makes
self-discipline difficult to practice. S/he should take time log to record frequency,
assess cost, discuss with colleagues to seek ways of reducing problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment