Thursday 5 July 2018

Essentials of Effective Problem Solving

Essentials of Effective Problem Solving

• A clear description of the problem
• A description of the limiting (or negative) factors involved in the
problem
• A description of the constructive (or positive) factors involved in the
problem
• A clear delineation of the “ownership” of the problem - Whose problem
is it: mine, yours, the other guy’s, my boss’, my spouse’s, my child’s, my
parents’, my teacher’s?
• A clear description of the scope of the problem: How extensive a problem
is it? How long has this problem existed? How many people are affected?
What else is affected by this problem?
• A clear description of the consequences if the problem were not solved
- What is the possible impact on my family, job, life in this community, etc., if
this problem isn’t solved? What is the worst possible thing that could happen
if this problem isn’t solved?
• A list of brainstormed solutions to the problem, with each alternative
analyzed as to its reality, its benefits, and the consequences for following
each one.
• A system of ranking each solution to finalize the decision-making
process - A rating system for analyzing each solution is developed, e.g., 100%
chance of success, 75% chance of success, 50% chance of success.
• A clear description of myself as a problem-solver - When it comes to this
problem, am I procrastinating? Am I avoiding the problem? Am I denying the
problem? Am I shutting down or blocking my creativity on this problem? Am I
ignoring it, hoping it will go away? Am I using magical and/or fantasy thinking
in addressing the problem?
• Determination to follow through on the solution decided upon jointly.
This involves full motivation to “take the risk” and pursue the solution to its
fullest

No comments:

Post a Comment