Wednesday 29 August 2018

Persuasion Theories - Information Manipulation Theory

Persuasion Theories - Information Manipulation Theory



A communicator overtly or covertly violates one of the conversational maxims of quantity, quality, relation and manner with the intention of deceiving his/her audience.

• ‘Quantity’ refers to a person’s expectations that a conversation will be as
informative as possible. We do not expect information to be left out.
• ‘Quality’ refers to a person’s expectation of being presented with information
that is truthful and complete.
• ‘Relation’ illustrates the expectation of contributing relevant information to a
conversation.
• ‘Manner’ relates to how things are said rather than what is said.
For example, the private secretary turns up late to the office. How will he/she answer
his boss for turning up late?
• Quantity: “I am so sorry Sir; I was caught up in a traffic jam caused by a political
rally.”
• Quality: “I overslept. Because I had forgotten to pay the electric bill, power got
cut off and my alarm clock didn’t go off.” “
• Relation: “I’ve just had a really bad week. My mom was in the hospital and was
discharged today morning only.”
• Manner: (said rolling eyes and looking disgusted): “I really started on time, but
was caught up in the traffic jam”

Information Manipulation Theory provides an explanation for and the multiple ways in
which deception can occur. However, it does not predict what maxims a person may
only violate that the violation will occur within the certain realm of possibilities provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment