Monday 23 March 2015

GRAMMAR: VERBS OFTEN REQUIRED IN PRESENTATIONS

GRAMMAR: VERBS OFTEN REQUIRED IN
PRESENTATIONS


The grammar section is primarily for creating awareness which will be
useful for editing your written work. Do read it if you are shaky on some
aspects of English language.

Outlining Your Presentation

It is important to present an outline of your presentation at the very beginning.
This helps the audience to understand how you have structured your
presentation. A presentation will be much clearer to the audience if the
structure is clearly signaled.

The use of a variety of presentation verbs can help you to present the outline
clearly, specifically and effectively.

talking                 discuss             outline           filling         sharing
bring                   highlight             tell               report            start
go on to

Here are some more ways of signalling the structure of your presentation.
Pay particular attention to the verbs in bold.

Introduction

Greeting                     Good morning ladies and gentlemen / everyone…………..
Topic                           I’d like to talk to you about………….
                                     I’d like to say a few words about…………….
                                     I’m here to make a presentation on…………

This morning I’m going to be talking to you about / telling you
about / showing you / reporting / taking a look at…………….

Outline                          I’ll be dealing with three areas.

                                             I’ve divided my talk into………….
                                             So I’ll start off by filling you in on the background to /
                                             bringing you up-to-date on / giving you an overview of/
                                             making a few observations about / outlining………… and then
                                             I’ll go on to discuss in more depth / highlight what I see as the
                                            main / make detailed recommendations regarding………….
                                            I will conclude with……… / I will end my presentation
                                            with………………. / At the end of my presentation I will
                                            invite you to ask me any questions that you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment